6 Not-So-Serious Questions About Game 5
Fri June 10, 2011 1 Comment
- Will someone (finally) throttle Glenn Healy? Anyone who has had the unparalleled joy of watching CBC during the Stanley Cup Finals knows that between-the-benches analyst Glenn Healy has three main talking points: Tim Thomas is great, Tim Thomas is better than great, and Tim Thomas is super great. Eventually someone on the Canucks bench, a drunk fan, or even Tuukka Rask is going to smack him. I’m thinking tonight might be the night. Has anyone checked Pierre McGuire for knives? He is standing awfully close to Healy…
- Can Chris Tanev be adequate enough? Chris Tanev is a 21-year old rookie defenceman who went undrafted, never played major junior, and had one pretty good season in college with the Rochester Institute of Technology (where he was part of a defence corps with three guys named Chris). He’s also the only rookie that Alain Vigneault seems comfortable playing, so long as he keeps that horrible Keith Ballard guy away from the ice. Actually, that’s probably all he has to do. Keep Keith Ballard away from everything.
- What kind of awesome will Tim Thomas bring tonight? He’s got a ridiculous 1.26 GAA and .966 SV% in the series, but Thomas is far more than that: he’s bloody entertaining. From throwing bodychecks to slashing anyone who comes near him, Thomas is incredibly difficult to dislike – assuming, of course, that he isn’t beating your team. Personally, I’m expecting him to try and score a goal. I don’t expect him to succeed, just to try, miss, and break his stick in anger on the ice.
- Will Sami Salo keep doing the rock on Vancouver’s defence? Fun fact: Sami Salo was +1 in an 8-1 loss. Because +/- is a perfect representation of someone’s play, I assume that means that Sami Salo is the only good, perhaps only healthy, defenceman that the Canucks have. Sami Salo healthy? One of the four horsemen of the apocalypse right there.
- Did you know that Mark Recchi is old? I expect to hear this talked about a minimum of six times during tonight’s broadcast. You could build an entire drinking game around it. I wouldn’t recommend playing it, but you could make one.
- Does Manny Malhotra’s mask ever get foggy? I assume he has vents on the bottom to prevent this, but he’s still playing with a full shield, and you have to imagine it gets a bit hard to see through every now and then.